Americans love to diet. Think about all the diets over the years. There was the grape fruit diet, the cabbage soup diet, the tape worm diet - yep it was really a thing, weight watchers, low fat diet, South Beach Diet, Atkins diet, Paleo diet and of course the hundreds of weight loss pills, drinks and foods that were and still on the market.
This is a fun post that takes you through the history of dieting.
Chances are you have dieted or at least you know someone who has dieted. An estimated of 45 million americans diet each year and spend $33 million on weight loss products. Most diets do not last more than 6 months with people walking away feeling discouraged and defeated.
I'm sure you have heard or even experienced that diets do not work.
If diets worked then there would not be a new diet or diet trend each year. There would not be 2/3 of our population overweight/obese. And dieting would not be the biggest New Years Resolutions.
Diets do not work for many reasons.
1. It makes you feel deprived wanting a 'forbidden food' even more. Ever heard of the last meal phenomenon. Tonight I will eat a huge plate of nachos until I am way too full because this is the last plate of nachos I will eat ever. Sound familiar? Do you also think that ended up being your last plate of nachos?
2. After you 'end your diet' you often put on more weight and then some because you were feeling deprived or not providing your body with the nutrition that it needs then binging on your favorite 'forbidden' foods.
3. We live in a real world. Will you ever have 100% control over what you eat? Do you think the dinner party you are invited to has your fat free, gluten free, dairy free lasagna?
4. Restricting calories slows your metabolism.
5. Diets are not individualized. You are an individual person, therefore your nutrition needs are individualized.
6. Diets are just miserable. Who wants to worry about what, when and how they will eat all day long?
Practicing intuitive eating will help you to feel good in your body, have a good relationship with food and keep you at a healthy weight. No need to feel restricted, deprived or hungry all day. I love to help clients develop a good relationship with food. I also help clients gain critical thinking skills with regards to food and nutrition to provide a lifestyle changes not a diet.
If you are tired of dieting and wish to end the endless yo-yo cycle of restricting then contact me for an appointment!